- 1 How do you change the drive belt on a MTD Yard Machine lawn tractor?
- 2 When should I replace my lawn mower belt?
- 3 How do I remove the deck from my yard machine riding mower?
- 4 How often replace mower deck belt?
- 5 Why does my riding mower keep throwing the belt?
- 6 Can you stretch a lawn mower belt?
- 7 How tight should riding mower belt be?
- 8 Can you adjust belt tensioner?
- 9 Why did my mower blades stop working?
How do you change the drive belt on a MTD Yard Machine lawn tractor?
- Step 1: Position the mower to change the lawn mower belt.
- Step 2: Check the engine temperature before replacing the lawn mower belt.
- Step 3: Detach the spark plug wire.
- Step 4: Remove the cutting deck and battery.
- Step 5: Loosen the transaxle pulley.
- Step 6: Relieve tension on the upper drive belt.
When should I replace my lawn mower belt?
There’s no definite amount of time that a mower belt is supposed to last, but increased mower use shortens the interval in which a belt needs replacement. Simply put, more use equals more wear. Additionally, faulty belts or mechanical failures like a seized pulley can make lawn mower belts break prematurely.
How do I remove the deck from my yard machine riding mower?
Deck Removal – Riding Mower ( Standard Decks )
- Lower the cutting deck engagement lever to the engaged or lowest position.
- Remove the hex bolts (belt keepers) next to the engine pulley.
- Unhook the drive belt from the engine pulley.
- Disconnect the deck hanger links by removing the hairpin cotters and flat washers.
How often replace mower deck belt?
You shouldn’t need to replace belts every year, or more in one year. A common cause of belt breakage is excessive grass clippings on the deck. Grass clippings can work their way under pulleys and deck covers, causing series problems.
Why does my riding mower keep throwing the belt?
The drive belt may come off a riding mower because it is damaged or loose. When loose, the belt may slip, resulting in friction that, if it creates enough heat, can lead to a fire in the mower’s engine.
Can you stretch a lawn mower belt?
Yes, lawnmower belts can stretch. Continuous wear due to regular operation can cause them to elongate over time. When it stretches more than it should, it can result in the drive belts lose grip on the pulley system.
How tight should riding mower belt be?
Roughly, starting out about as tight as an alternator belt, maybe an inch of play side to side So, tight but not super tight, hard to explain it just takes practice. Too tight is no good, I find if it’s tight enough where it doesn’t slap around at all then it’s also too tight, ain’t life grand.
Can you adjust belt tensioner?
When the belt stretches, it can begin to slip, if left unattended. Not all types of drive belt systems can be adjusted. Cars equipped with an automatic belt tensioner adjust themselves over time and do not require adjustment. This article shows you the process to adjust drive belts on a pivot-style belt adjuster.
Why did my mower blades stop working?
If your mower blades will not turn after the blade controls have been engaged, your deck belt may be broken. The deck is located directly under the operators seat. This belt spins the mowers blades and runs through a pulley system of idlers. If the belt has snapped, it will need to be replaced.