- 1 How do you remove a stuck differential drain plug?
- 2 How do you remove a stuck differential cover?
- 3 Does oil drain plug need torque?
- 4 What happens if you over tighten oil drain plug?
- 5 How tight should an oil drain plug be?
- 6 How do you loosen a rear differential bolt?
- 7 How do I remove a rusted differential cover bolt?
How do you remove a stuck differential drain plug?
- Put car on trailer and tow onto an incline.
- Open rear diff drain plug and drain fluid.
- Tow car so it faces downhill (as sharp as possible).
- Fill rear diff with fluid as much as possible (or factory recommended volume if possible).
- Torque down drain plug back to 32.5 ft/lbs.
How do you remove a stuck differential cover?
I just pound a small flat-bladed screwdriver in-between the cover and housing and pry it open. Remember to keep one bolt at the top threaded in a few turns. That will keep the cover from suddenly falling off into to the catch basin, when you finally do get it off, and splashing smelly gear lube everywhere.
Does oil drain plug need torque?
you don’t have to be exact with torque 30-36 ft lbs would be fine with your drain plug. to keep things in perspective, if this is your first oil change on this car, then there would have been at least one oil changer that ran your drain plug down with an impact, and probably no one used a torque wrench.
What happens if you over tighten oil drain plug?
If you over – tighten the drain plug, you can strip the threads. And while it’s harder to do, you can damage the rubber gasket atop the oil filter if you really overtighten it. Most likely, though, it’s just going to make it really difficult for the next guy to remove the plug and filter.
How tight should an oil drain plug be?
It should be snug, NOT SUPER TIGHT! Occasionally I used to go to an oil change place (a chain) and would ask them to not over tighten the drain plug. The greeter said, OK. I don’t always go to the same one but I would make this request anywhere I went.
How do you loosen a rear differential bolt?
Alternatively, you could try a cheater bar (pipe slid over the end of your wrench to give more leverage), PB blaster (a little bit better than wd-40), hitting it with a hammer to break it free, or tightening before loosening to break it free.
How do I remove a rusted differential cover bolt?
The diff cover bolts usually come right out even when rusted, use a small cordless impact and rattle them out or tap the wrench with a small dead blow, impact loosens them, turning torque has a greater chance of breaking them.