- 1 How high should my mower deck be?
- 2 Why does my Craftsman riding mower cut uneven?
- 3 Can you put a bigger deck on a riding mower?
- 4 Should mower deck wheels touch the ground?
- 5 What causes a riding lawn mower to cut uneven?
- 6 How do you lower the wheels on a Craftsman lawn mower?
- 7 How do you adjust the handle on a Craftsman lawn mower?
- 8 Why does my belt keep slipping off my lawn mower?
- 9 How do you adjust the belt tension on a Poulan riding lawn mower?
- 10 Why did my mower blades stop working?
How high should my mower deck be?
For most effective results, a lawn mower deck should have a pitch, or height difference of 1/8-inch to 1/2-inch between the front of the deck to the back of the deck. Naturally, this makes the sweet spot about 1/4-inch of pitch, depending on the mower model.
Why does my Craftsman riding mower cut uneven?
Blade vibration also causes an uneven cut. Replace a worn blade belt because a worn belt won’t spin the blades correctly. Worn deck idler pulleys can also cause vibration, so replace any deck pulleys that don’t spin freely. Check the mower deck for damage and replace the deck if it’s bent.
Can you put a bigger deck on a riding mower?
Yes, you can fit a bigger deck to you mower, but engine power and deck size are often proportional.
Should mower deck wheels touch the ground?
Mower deck gauge wheels should be properly adjusted to prevent scalping grass on uneven terrain. The bottom of the wheels should sit approximately 1/8-1/2 of an inch from the ground, depending on your cutting height.
What causes a riding lawn mower to cut uneven?
Uneven cutting is wavy or smooth troughs in the lawn surface. Uneven cutting is usually caused by mower deck damage or misadjustment.
How do you lower the wheels on a Craftsman lawn mower?
How to Adjust the Height on a Sears Craftsman Mower
- Locate the adjuster on one wheel.
- Move the lever from the notch it’s in by pulling the lever toward the wheel.
- Repeat this process for the other three wheels.
- Double-check that all four wheels have been set at the same height after you’ve finished adjusting them.
How do you adjust the handle on a Craftsman lawn mower?
Locate the lever handles between each wheel and the mower deck. Pull up on one lever handle, and push the handle toward the wheel. Move the handle up or down to adjust the height of the deck. Release the handle until it locks into a notch on the dial between the deck and wheel.
Why does my belt keep slipping off my lawn mower?
The drive belt may come off a riding mower because it is damaged or loose. When loose, the belt may slip, resulting in friction that, if it creates enough heat, can lead to a fire in the mower’s engine.
How do you adjust the belt tension on a Poulan riding lawn mower?
How to Tighten the Belt on a Poulan Riding Lawn Mower
- Roll the Poulan riding mower onto a flat surface.
- Lift the cover for the engine and remove the spark plug, using a socket wrench.
- Lower the mower deck.
- Push in on the idler pulley underneath the engine.
- Remove the bolt from the housing on the deck.
- Push in on the pulley on the deck belt and pull out on the belt.
Why did my mower blades stop working?
If your mower blades will not turn after the blade controls have been engaged, your deck belt may be broken. The deck is located directly under the operators seat. This belt spins the mowers blades and runs through a pulley system of idlers. If the belt has snapped, it will need to be replaced.