- 1 Does an electric fuel pump need a relay?
- 2 Does an electric fuel pump need a return line?
- 3 Can you use an electric fuel pump with a carburetor?
- 4 What color is the fuel pump wire?
- 5 Do electric fuel pumps run continuously?
- 6 What happens if you wire a fuel pump backwards?
- 7 How do you wire an electric fuel pump with a relay?
- 8 Is an electric fuel pump better than mechanical?
- 9 Where is the best place to mount a electric fuel pump?
- 10 Does an electric fuel pump need a regulator?
- 11 What is the best electric fuel pump?
- 12 What is the quietest electric fuel pump?
- 13 How much fuel pressure do I need for a carburetor?
Does an electric fuel pump need a relay?
It depends on how long the wire run is, how thick the wire is, how much current the pump draws, and what other types of controls you want on the pump circuit. Low current pump, short heavy wire, no funky control requirements means you can go without a relay.
Does an electric fuel pump need a return line?
Its not needed for a Holley red pump, You shouldnt even need a regulator for that pump. However with any electric fuel pump a regulator with a return line will keep the fuel cooler and put less stress on the pump.
Can you use an electric fuel pump with a carburetor?
It is becoming more and more common for people to use an in-tank electric pump to feed a carbureted engine. Many new engines simply do not have the provisions to use a mechanical fuel pump. Any of our in-tank pumps can feed a carbureted engine provided that a bypass regulator is used.
What color is the fuel pump wire?
Pink/ Black is the pump power, Black is the ground. The pk/bk wire ties to the inertia switch.
Do electric fuel pumps run continuously?
Electric Fuel Pump – How Do They Work Fuel then flows to the fuel supply rail feeding individual fuel injectors. There is no fuel return line from the engine back to the tank. Fuel pumps run continuously once the engine starts, and continues to run as long as the engine is running.
What happens if you wire a fuel pump backwards?
If it was running backwards it probably would kill the pump. Fuel pumps use fuel to cool themselves and if they are run dry they usually die pretty quickly.
How do you wire an electric fuel pump with a relay?
Wiring in the Fuel Pump Relay
- Wire pin 85 of the relay to the 12v supply wire from the stock ECU that you just cut.
- Wire pin 86 to a good ground on the car.
- Run a dedicated wire from your battery to pin 30 on the relay.
- Run a wire from pin 87 to your factory wire that you cut that runs to the fuel pump.
Is an electric fuel pump better than mechanical?
Usually, a mechanical pump is preferred over an “aftermarket” electric fuel pump. They tend to be more reliable. However, sometimes that won’t work.
Where is the best place to mount a electric fuel pump?
Keeping the electric pump far away from the gas tank: Electric fuel pumps don’t pull fuel as well as they push it. So, you want to install it close to the gas tank for optimal performance. Mounting the fuel line close to heat sources: Fuel and heat don’t mix (at least outside of the engine).
Does an electric fuel pump need a regulator?
Most lever style mechanical fuel pumps don’t require a regulator and some electric fuel pumps even have the regulator built right into them, and eliminating the need to purchase an external unit. These pumps are typically low pressure units and were designed for use with carburetors only.
What is the best electric fuel pump?
Best Sellers in Automotive Performance Electric Fuel Pumps
- #1. Holley (12427) Fuel Pump.
- AEM 50-1200 E85 In-Tank Fuel Pump, Black, 4.055 x 1.535 x 1.535 inches.
- ARP 1348701 Fuel Pump Push Rod Kit.
- Holley Electric Fuel Pump 6145-2 Red Auto.
- Holley Electric Fuel Pump 6194-2 Blu Auto.
- Holley (12426) Fuel Pump.
- Holley Blue Electric Pump W/O Regulator.
- Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump.
What is the quietest electric fuel pump?
A-List of the Quietest Electric Fuel Pump
- Holley 12-427 Electric Fuel Pump. Check Latest Price.
- Holley Blue W/O Regulator Electri c Pump. Check Latest Price.
- Autobest F4027 Universal Pu mp. Check Latest Price.
- Aeromotive 11101 Red Pump. Check Latest Price.
- Airtex E8016S Electric Fuel Pump. Check Latest Price.
How much fuel pressure do I need for a carburetor?
Fuel pressure should be set between 6 and 8 psi for a gasoline carburetor. An alcohol carburetor is a different animal with very different requirements. The Alky carburetor will require 4 to 5 psi at idle and 9 to 12 psi at wide open throttle. Remember, fuel pressure is not a substitute for volume!