Kay's Cockshutt Model 40
On the right is a picture of Kay Allen's Cockshutt Model 40 in its work clothes. Except for some cleaning, tune-up, and new rear tires, the tractor is just as it came out of a barn in Wisconsin, where it had been sitting for years. The Cockshutt is in nearly original condition and runs well. The tractor's serial number is 40-3163, indicating that it was built in 1950.
Kay does not have much background information regarding the tractor, as she purchased it from a collector in Wisconsin, who had acquired it from an estate. She purchased the tractor in 2007 but didn't actually acquire it until 2008. She winces when she mentions that the cost of transporting the tractor to Texas almost equaled the purchase price.
The Cockshutt is an addition to a collection of approximately two dozen other red tractors; however, all of the rest are Farmalls. The Model 40 might well turn out to be Kay's favorate, as it brings back memories of growing up on a dairy farm in Massachusetts and driving the family's Cockshutt Model 40.
If you wish to contact Ms. Allen, please send a request to the WEBMASTER and it will be forwarded to Ms. Allen.
THE COCKSHUTT MODEL 40 TRACTOR
The Cockshutt Model 40 was released to the public in December, 1949. It was marketed as a three or four-plow tractor. The Model 40 was the second model produced by Cockshutt; the Model 30 had been introduced in 1946. Cockshutt tractors were built in Brantford, Ontrario, Canada. Charles Brooks, a Canadian architect, styled the tractor.
Deluxe and Black Hawk models were issued from serial number 3100 on. Deluxe series tractors with the Perkins diesel engine sold in the United States were labeled the Golden Eagle 40D4. Serial numbers for Model 40's were located on the top of the left side frame, adjacent to the engine. Serial numbers for the Golden eagle 40D-4 and the Deluxe and Black Hawk 40PD models were located on the right side frame, near the top.
Production of the Model 40 ceased in November, 1957, with serial number 50372. A total of 14,929 Model 40, 40D4, 40PD and CO-OP E-4 tractors were built. The final 372 tractors were sold as 1958 models.
The Cockshutt Model 40 had a six-cylinder Buda overhead-valve engine displacing 230 cubic inches, with a 3.4375 inch bore, 4.125 inch stroke, and compression of 6.18:1. It ws rated at 1650 RPM. The engine had removable, wet-sleeve cylinder walls and earned the reputation of being reliable, long-lasting, and easy to service.
The 230 cubic-inch 6B230 Buda gasoline engine was similar to the 4B153 Buda engine used in the Model 30 in that internal components were interchangeable; the 6B230 engine simply had two more cylinders, additional crank-shaft bearings (seven total), and a pressurized cooling system.
From 1950 to the end of production in 1958, a Buda 6BD230 diesel engine was also available on the Model 40. A high-altitude head for the 6B230 gasoline engine became available in 1952 and a 6B230 DIS (DIStillate) engine and a 6B230 LPG (Liquid-Propane-Gas) engine were available from 1953 to the end of production in 1958.
Nebraska tests rated a Cockshutt Model 40 with the Buda 6B230 gasoline engine at 37.85 HP at the drawbar and 43.30 HP at the pulley.
The 6B230 gasoline engine was equipped with a Zenith 162J9 carburetor and a Donaldson air cleaner. The 6-volt ignition system was produced by Auto-Lite. The 6BD230 diesel engine used a Bosch fuel-injector system.
Allis-Chalmers purchased the Buda Engine Company in 1953 and this caused Cockshutt to investigate alternate engines. In November, 1954, the Cockshutt Model 40 became available as the Model 40PD when equipped with a Perkins 269.5 cubic-inch diesel engine. The Perkins engine was an overhead-valve, four-cylinder diesel with 5 1/4 inch bore and 4 3/4 inch stroke. The Cockshutt Model 40PD with the Perkins diesel engine was labeled as a Deluxe or Black Hawk 40PD. The Model 40PD sold in the United States was badged the Golden Eagle 40D4.
Cockshutt tractors were painted vermillion-red, with cream-yellow trim. The first Deluxe series tractors were released in 1955. During that first year, Deluxe, Black Hawk and Golden Eagle tractors were painted red and yellow, similar to earlier Cockshutt tractors, In 1956, after serial-number 31001, the colors on the Deluxe, Black Hawk and Golden Eagle models were reversed, with cream-yellow on the hood, gas tank, grill and decals, and vermillion-red trim.
Black Hawk decals were placed on all Deluxe series tractors marketed in the U.S. from 1956 on. This was done to promote the fact that Cockshutt had begun to manufacture, sell and service tractors in the U.S. The Black Hawk name was acquired when Cockshutt purchased the Ohio Cultivator Company in December, 1952. The Ohio company had marketed farm implements such as corn planters and corn pickers under the Black Hawk name.
Exact numbers of Deluxe, Black Hawk, and Golden Eagle tractors are unknown, as they were included within the Model 40 sequence of serial numbers.
The transmission on the Model 40 had six forward and two reverse gears. First gear was noteworthy because it was considerably slower and more powerful than that on comparable tractors by other makers.
The Cockshutt Model 40 had a Borg and Beck eleven-inch, single, dry-plate clutch which was foot operated.
The Model 40 had a massive final drive case, designed for use on future tractors with much bigger engines. The two bull gears had bearings on each side, supported in a four-walled gear case and connected directly to a sliding spur-gear transmission without any universal joints. Cockshutt engineers developed a special process to harden the teeth on the bull gears. This differential was used later on Cockshutt Models 560 and 570 and has been popular with tractor pullers because of its exceptional durability.
A group of cockshutt engineeers under the supervision of Ivan MacRae invented the "live" PTO (Power-Take-Off) as an option for the Model 30 tractor and it also was offered as an option for the Model 40. Manager "Mac" McCurdy originated the term "live." A live PTO allowed an operatror to stop the forward motion of a tractor and still keep the PTO operating. This was an important development which enabled a farmer to stop and allow implements such as a corn picker, a combine or a hay baler to clear itself after it started to plug up. The live PTO was powered directly from the flywheel and was equipped with a multiple-plate oil-bath clutch.
A hydraulic system was also available as an option on the Cockshutt Model 30 and Model 40 tractors. This system consisted of a reservoir, a pump, and a control valve. On early Model 40's, the hydraulic pump and control valve were mounted on the back of the governor and the reservoir was mounted on the differential housing; later tractors had the pump, the control valve, and the reservoir together in one compact unit mounted on the final drive housing and driven by the live PTO. One cylinder powered the three-point hitch rockshaft and provided two-way, automatic depth control for mounted or trailing equipment. Both the PTO and the hydraulic systrem were "bolt-on" systems which could be easily removed for repair.
The Cockshutt Model 40 could be ordered with a Rockwood fiber, 12-inch pulley with an 8 1/2-inch face. Belt speed was 3,122 FPM at 1650 RPM.
The Model 40 had a 17 1/2 imperial (Canadian) gallon fuel tank (21 gallons U.S.), the engine held 5 imperial quarts of oil, and the cooling system held 4 3/4 gallons.
The front tires of the Model 40 were 6.00 x 16 standard and 7.50 x 16 oversize. The rear tires were 12 x 38 standard and 13 x 38 oversize. For a brief period in the late 1950's, the tractor could be ordered with 34 inch rear tires. The Model 40 could be ordered as a "regular" model with either a fixed or adjustable wide front axle or as a row-crop version with single or dual front wheels.
Early Cockshutt Model 40's were issued with brake drums and brake shoes; later Model 40's were produced with disk brakes.
The standard Model 40 was 132 inches long; the row-crop version was one inch longer. The height to the top of the hood was 62 3/4 inches. the wheelbase on the standard model was 86 1/2 inches and the wheelbase on the row-crop model was 89 1/2 inches.
The tractor weighed 5,305 pounds dry. Wheel weights were available for the rear wheels; one or two weights, each weighing 140 pounds, could be mounted on each wheel.
From 1949 through 1952, a 250-pound square weight was available to be mounted on the front of the Model 40. From 1953 on, two streamlined weights were available to be attached to the nose of the tractor. The first weight weighed 200 pounds; the second weighed 150 pounds. These front weights were curved to fit the front of the tractor.
The cost of the Cockshutt Model 40 in 1955 was $2,626. This base price included a row-crop model with a 230 cubic-inch Buda gasoline engine, 4-ply 6.00 x 16 inch front tires, and 6-ply 13 x 38 inch rear tires. Also included were the fenders, battery, starter, lights, muffler, oil filter, disc brakes, sliding rear axles, Knoedler seat, accessory drive shaft, and hydraulic declutch.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF COCKSHUTT FARM EQUIPMENT OF CANADA, LIMITED
The Brantford Plow Works was founded in 1877 by James G. Cockshutt in Brantford, Ontario. The company had five employees and made stoves, tools, and other items typical of a blacksmith shop, as well as plows. The business prospered and the Cockshutt Plow Company Limited was incorporated in 1882, with James as President and his father, Ignatius, as Vice President. In 1883, the company had 50 employees and used 40-horsepower steam engines to operate machinery. By 1903, the company had 900 employees and built a variety of farm implements, including, planters, plows and disk harrows.
In 1909, the Cockshutt Plow Company affiliated with the Frost and Wood Company, which produced grain binders and haying and harvesting equipment. Frost and Wood became a subsidiary of the Cockshutt Company in 1933. The Adams Wagon Company and Brantford Carriage were also acquired during the early 1900's.
In 1928, the Cockshutt Plow Company began marketing Allis-Chalmers Model 20-35 and Model U tractors in Canada. For a brief period, Allis-Chalmers built the Model U for the United Tractor and Equipment Corporation and this model, known as the United was also marketed in Canada by Cockshutt.
During the early 1930's, Cockshutt also began marketing Hart-Parr Model 18-28 and Model 28-44 tractors supplied by the Oliver Corporation. By 1935, Cockshutt was selling Oliver's Model 70 styled tractor with the Cockshutt name on the grill. The Oliver 80 unstyled tractor was sold by Cockshutt beginning in 1937. Cockshutt also sold Oliver Models 60, 90, and 99 before the agreement between the companies was terminated on November 1, 1948. Cockshutt began marketing its own Model 30 in 1947.
Green Oliver tractors with red wheels were sold as is for several years; it wasn't until the 1940's that most Oliver tractors labeled as Cockshutts were painted red, with yellow wheels.
In 1945, a marketing agreement was reached with the National Farm Machinery Cooperative (NFMC), an organization made up of Farm Bureau cooperatives in a number of states. Under this agreement, Cockshutt tractors and implements were sold in the United States under the CO-OP name and painted the Farm Bureau's orange color. By 1946, Cockshutt Model 30's and CO-OP's E-3's were built on the same production lines. NFMC went into receivership in 1952.
A marketing agreement also was worked out with the Gamble-Skogmo chain in the United States and the Cockshutt Model 30 was sold in these stores as the Gambles-Farmcrest Model 30.
A marketing agreement with Canadian Cooperative Implements Limited (CCIL) resulted in the Cockshutt Model 30 being painted a dark orange and labeled as CCIL tractors. CCIL went into receivership in 1991; however, it had considerable financial problems dating back to the early 1950's.
The Cockshutt Farm Equipment Company of Canada Limited was a highly successful company with a bright future. However, in 1958 a large quantity of Cockshutt stocks were purchased by a New York brokerage firm, giving it control of the Cockshutt Company. In January, 1962, the Cockshutt Farm Equipment Division was sold to the White Motor Company. The White Company already owned the Oliver Corporation, and, in 1963, it purchased Minneapolis-Moline and then reorganized as the White Farm Equipment Company.
Excellent sources for additional information about the Cockshutt Company and its tractors may be obtained in the following sources: