A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MM BIG MO 400 MILITARY
Minneapolis-Moline Power Implement Company was founded in on April 18,
1929, as the result of a merger between the
Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company (MS&M), the Minneapolis
Threshing Machine Company (MTM), and the Moline Implement Company
(MIC). MS&M had the Twin City line, which included tractors,
threshers, industrial engines, structural steel, and a combine. MTM
produced the Great Minneapolis Line consisting of tractors, threshers,
combines, shellers, and industrial engines. MIC offered the Flying
Dutchman Line of plows, harrows, cultivators, drills, and planters.
There was considerable market overlap of tractors and threshers.
Eventually, the Minneapolis tractor and the Twin City thresher and
sheller were discontinued.
Minneapolis-Moline Power Implement Company name was changed to the
Minneapolis-Moline Company (MM) in 1949. The tractor plant was located
in Hopkins, Minnesota. MM acquired the B.F. Avery and Sons
Equipment Company on March 1, 1951.
(Moline technology) was originally a subsidiary of MM; however, the
names were reversed in 1961 to make Motec Industries the parent
company. Motec's three primary divisions consisted of the Farm
Machinery Division, the
Industrial Division, and the International Division. Each of the
Divisons had a number of subdivisions.
Mo tractors were produced by Motec
Industries between 1959 and 1964. They were industrial models of MM
farm tractors. The industrial models had larger engines with heavier
crankshafts and rods and their axles and wheels were
to handle the loader
and blade work usually associated with industrial work. All
military version, were painted Highway Yellow. Big Mo models included
the Big Mo 400, the Big Mo 400 Military, the Big Mo 500, the Big Mo 500
Diesel, and the Big Mo 600.
Industries was purchased by the White Motor Company on January 1, 1963.
The White Company had purchased the Oliver Company in 1960 and the
Cockshutt Company in 1962. Some Minneapolis-Moline tractors produced by
White were based on Oliver platforms. Also, some tractors sold during
early 1970's were built by Fiat in Turin, Italy, outfitted with
appropriate tin and paint and rebadged as Oliver or Minneapolis-Moline
The White Company restructured several times during
the 1970's in an attempt to cope with depressed economic conditions.
The Minneapolis-Moline name was dropped in 1974. AGCO purchased the
White Company in 1991.