GLENN'S JACOBSEN LAWN KING 1060


Lawn King 1 Lawn King 2


This Jacobsen Lawn King 1060 was manufactured sometime during the 1970's--probably during the last half of the decade. As a smaller and less-expensive model than the Jacobsen Chief, it was designed to compete with the inexpensive lawn tractors produced by other companies for sale in discount stores. The Lawn King is powered by a vertical-shaft, 10 HP, Sychro-Balanced, Briggs & Stratton Engine instead of a horizontal-shaft Kohler engine such as those used in Chief models. It also is belt-driven with a belt-tightener clutch, in contrast to some later Chief models, which were gear driven. The serial number of the lawn tractor is 53148 1717.  It has 18 x 8.50 x 8 front tires and 13 x 5.00 x 6 rear tires. The over-all width of the mower deck is 52 inches; the deck houses three 14.3/4 inch blades.

Glenn Thompson acquired the tractor from Duncan Auctioneers in Llano, Texas, on July 26, 2014.


A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE JACOBSEN MANUFACTURING COMPANY

In 1891, Knud Ferdinand Jacobsen immigrated to Racine, Wisconsin, from Denmark. A skilled woodworker, Jacobsen established a pattern-making shop where he made metal and wooden patterns for automobiles, agricultural machines and electrical equipment. His customers included J.T. Case, Harley Davidson, and the Wisconsin & Waukasha Motor Company.  Jacobsen restructured his business as the Thor Machine Works in 1917. In 1921, Knud Jacobsen and his son Oscar cofounded the Jacobsen Manufacturing Company. In 1921, the Thor Company released the 4-Acre Mower, a self-propelled gasoline-powered reel mower marketed through Jacobsen Manufacturing. The 4-Acre Mower was followed by the Estate Mower in 1923 and the Power Geensmower in 1924. The Jacobsen Company continued to produce mowers for estates and golf courses throughout the 1920's and 1930's and was not affected adversely by the Great Depression. Knud Jacobsen retired in 1939 and was succeeded as President by his son, Oscar.

In 1945, Jacobsen Manufacturing purchased the Worthington Mower Company of East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, which produced gang mowers for golf courses, parks and airfields. In 1949, the Worthington Company began making Model G tractors using Ford tractor components, mostly for use in parks and golf courses. The Worthington Company introduced new products during the 1950's, such as a tractor-mounted air compressor issued in 1955. Lawnmowers for golf course maintenance and residential use were manufactured and sold under the Worthington brand name until the mid-1960's.

In 1940, the Jacobsen Company acquired the Johnston Lawn Mower Company of Ottumwa, Iowa, which made light-weight hand mowers. Jacobsen used this division to enter the residential mower market. Reel-type engine-powered mowers introduced after World-War II included the Lawn Queen, the Lawn Prince, the Lawn King, and the Estate, followed by the Manor, Pacer amd Park.

In 1948, Jacobsen purchased the Standard Manufacturing Company of Lebanon, Indiana, a pioneer in the field of rotary lawn mowers.

The 1950's was a period of expansion into the homeowner market for the Jacobsen Company. Products included trimmers, snowblowers, electric starters for lawnmowers, grass catchers, and riding lawn mowers. The Javelin Riding Mower was released at the end of the 1940's, and the Jacobsen Chief Garden Tractor was introduced in 1961. By the mid-1960's, Jacobsen was making garden tractors for Ford,
Oliver, Farmhand,  Minneapolis-Moline, Cockshutt, Homelite and White, as well as other companies.  Jacobsen also made light tractors aimed at the farm market, with innovative attachments to make the tractors more useful and qualify them for tax breaks.

The Jacobsen Company offered stock to the general public in 1952 to raise capital needed for expansion. Also in 1952, the Jacobsen and  Johnston lines were merged to reduce administrative expenses. In 1960, the Johnston and Worthington Companies became divisions of the Jacobsen Company.

Jacobsen had a strong presence in the international market. Exports began in 1924; by the late 1960's, the company was shipping its products to over 75 countries. In 1967, a seperate export sales department was established.

The Jacobsen line of products was greatly expanded and upgraded during the 1960's. During this period, the world's largest golf-course mower was introduced--the Jacobsen F-20. The F-20 consisted of a 100 HP tractor pulling nine cutting units capable of mowing a 19.7 foot swath and 12.35 acres per hour. Also during the 1960's, diesel engines became available in some Jacobsen tractors.

In 1968, the Jacobsen Company acquired the Rogers Manufacturing Company of Olathe, Kansas. The Rogers Company produced institutional turf-care products such as sweepers, aerators, tractor-powered blowers, and off-road utility vehicles. In 1969, Jacobsen purchased Gamma, Inc., of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Gamma made sod cutters, sand-trap edgers, top-dressing spreaders, greens aeretors and machines for laying underground irrigation system pipelines.

The Jacoben Company merged with Allegheny Ludlum in 1969.

Textron purchased Jacobsen around 1975 but continued to produce Jacobsen garden tractors into the 1990's. During the 1990's, Textron was sold to the John Deere Company and operated under its Homelite subsidiary. Homelite was sold to an Asian group of investors in 2001.
Textron continues to sell large turf care and maintenance equipment under the Jacobsen name.

The above information was taken from: 
   Jacobsen, Oscar Thorkild. The Jacobsen Story. Self published, 1977.
   Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia www.wikipedia.org
   Will, Oscar H., III. Garden Tractors. Tractor Legacy Series. Voyageur Press, 2009.

A detailed history of the Jacobsen Company may be obtained by clicking on The Jacobsen History


A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE JACOBSEN CHIEF GARDEN TRACTOR

In 1961, the Chief Garden Tractor was introduced. It was powered by a 7 HP Tecumseh engine.

In 1962, two models were available: the Standard 100-A and the Duluxe 100-B. Both had Kohler K-161 engines. The 100-B model had an electric starter. These tractors were rated as one 10-inch plow-share tractors.

By 1965, 7 HP Standard 100-C and Deluxe 100-D models were available, as well as the 9.5 HP Deluxe 100-G. These tractors had Kohler engines and were belt-driven, with belt-idler clutches and three-speed transmissions. Options included electric starters and front-mounted reel mowers.

In 1967, available models included the 8 HP Chief 800, the  10 HP Chief 1000 and the 12 HP Chief 1200. A Super Chief was offered, with a more deluxe seat, a hydrostatic transmission, and other features.

In 1969, a 16 HP Chief was available.

By 1970, Chief 800 (8HP), Chief 1000 (10 HP), Super Chief 1200 (12 HP) and Super Chief 1400 (14 HP)  models were being produced. Some models were gear-driven, hydrostatic tractors, with optional PTO's and electric lifts. The smaller models were belt-driven, with belt-idler clutches. All tractors had Kohler engines.

In 1971, a new GT Series was introduced. The Chief GT-10 and GT-12 models were belt-driven, with belt-idler clutches and four-speed transaxles. The Chief GT-12, GT-14 and GT-16 models were hydrostatically driven, with two-speed range boxes. A hydraulic lift was available on Chief GT-14 and GT-16 models. The Chief GT-16 had automative-type worm-gear steering, and a three-point hitch was available.

By 1980, Models 1000 and 1200 were gear-driven, with four forward speeds and optional electric lifts. Models 1250, 1450 and 1650  were hydrostatically driven, with single-spool hydraulic lifts. A Heavy-Duty tractor was available, wth a 19.5 HP Kohler two-cylinder engine, a dual-range hydrostatic transmission, a two-spool hydraulic system, and an optional Category 0 three-point hitch.  

The above information was taken from:
   Jacobsen, Oscar Thorkild. The Jacobsen Story. Self published, 1977.
   Will, Oscar H., III. Garden Tractors. Tractor Legacy Series. Voyageur Press, 2009.