Glenn's Cub Cadet Model 1200 

A "Quiet Line" Tractor




Glenn acquired his 1976 Cub Cadet in September, 2013, at a Duncan Auction in Llano Texas. There were a number of newer riding lawnmowers being sold by a dealer, and the paint on the Cub Cadet was rather shabby, so Glenn was able to buy the tractor for $100 because he was the only one that bid. He was thrilled with his purchase--his wife less so. Her only comment was: "And we need that because . . . ? Cub Cadet




SPECIFICATIONS

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 1976
MODEL NUMBER Cub Cadet 1200 (12 hp.)
Quiet Line Series
TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER
(Located on left side of frame
near clutch/brake pedal)
2050580U594992*
*205=Kind
0580=Code
U= United States
594992= Serial Number
CUB CADET QUIET LINE
SERIAL NUMBERS
YEAR      BEGINNING #
1974      530001
1975      536073
1976      572840
1977      602118
1978      621744
1979      643507
1980      667400
Final        664996
 ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER
(Located on engine shroud)
KOHLER K301AQS*
*K=Kohler
30=Displacement in cubic inches
1=One cylinder
A=Special oil pan
Q=Quiet model
S=Electric start
BORE & STROKE 3.75 x 3.250 inches
DISPLACEMENT 29.07 cubic inches
SPEED Low=1,800 rpm.
High Idle=3,600 rpm.
Full Load=3,400 rpm.
VALVE CLEARANCE
(Engine cold)
Intake=.010 inch
Exhaust-=020 inch
SPARK PLUG Champion H-10 or equivalent
.035 inch gap
BREAKER POINTS .0320 inch gap
TIMING 20 degrees before top-dead-center
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM 12 volt, negative ground
Battery=9948X
Alternator=15 amp.
Fuse=AGC-10 (slow-blow)
PTOFront electromagnetic
LIFT MECHANISMLever, with optional spring-assist
CAPACITIES Fuel Tank=5 quarts
Crankcase=3 pints
Transmission=8 pints
Steering Housing=1/4 pound
CLUTCH Double-plate, dry-disc, spring-loaded
Combination brake/clutch foot pedal
TRANSMISSION First Gear=2.3 mph.
Second Gear=3.5 mph.
Third Gear=6.9 mph.
Reverse=2.5 mph.
BRAKEExternal, mechanical, dry-disc type on
both rear wheels before serial # 568632
.
Internal, mechanical, wet-disc type on
transmission-shaft after serial number 568631.
Combination brake/clutch foot pedal.
LUBRICATION Engine=3 pints SAE 30 (not 10W-30 or 10W-40)
Oil Filter=IH
Transmission=7 pints IH Hy-Tran Fluid (approximatelly)
Steering Housing=1/4 pound IH-2541H EP or
#2 lithium grease
STEERING HOUSING Ross Gearboxes
DASHBOARDFiberglass & metal, with lights and PTO switches,
ammeter, Maintenance-Minder hour meter,and
throttle lever. Key/starter-switch below.
SEATPadded, adjustable, and spring-mounted,
with integral backrest
TIRES (STANDARD) Front=15 x 4.80 - 8
Rear=23 x 8.50 - 12
TIRES (FLOATATION) Front=16 x 6.50 - 8
Rear=23 x 20.50 -12
DRAWBARFixed & mounted on differential case.
Three-point hitch optional.
TREAD Front=27.0 inches (regular tires)
Front=28.6 inches (floatation tires)
Rear=27.0 inches
WHEELBASE 44 inches
LENGTH (OVERALL) 69 inches
WIDTH 37 inches
HEIGHT 41 inches
WEIGHT650 pounds
830 pounds
with a 175-pound operator & fuel
GROUND CLEARANCE 6 inches
TURNING RADIUS 6.6 feet
PAINT IH-483 federal yellow (Valspar 5339-25 yellow)
IH-935 white (Valspar 5339-26 beige)
IH-Satin Black
IMPLEMENT ATTACHMENTQuick-Attach system
OPTIONAL MOWER DECKS38, 44 (44a), 48 & 50 (50a) inch widths
OTHER OPTIONSStandard or floatation tires.
Lights (2 headlights & 2 tailights).
Three-point hitch.
Spring-assist for attachment lift.
Electric-lift for attachment lift.
Rear-wheel weights.
Dual rear-wheels.
Creeper transmission.
Rear PTO.
Metal utility box.
Armrests.
Hubcaps.



PREDECESSORS OF THE QUIET LINE SERIES

As early as 1959, International-Harvester recognized the opportunity to market a small tractor to homeowners, farmers, gardeners, landscapers, maintenance workers on golf courses and parks, etc. Company officials were aware of the success of companies such as Bolens, Wheel Horse, and Simplicity, and they realized that IH had the ability to compete successfully in that marketplace. First consideration was given to outsourcing tractors from existing manufacturers; however, company officials decided instead to produce their own line of tractors utilizing components from the Farmall Cub. The transmission/differential from the Cub was combined with a Kohler engine and newly-designed componets such as a pressed-steel frame, cast-iron front axle, plastic fuel tank, hood, grill, etc. to produce a prototype 7 hp. garden tractor. Names considered for the tractor included CUBETTE, CUB-ETTE, Cub-Urban, and Ranch-All, before Cub Cadet was adopted. A target price of $512 was established; this was towards the top end of the range of competitions' prices--Garden Mark (Wards) $425 ($379.50 sale price), David Bradley (Sears) $449.95, Big Giant (Wagner) $499.95, Ride-a-matic (Bolens) $510, Wheel Horse $510,  and Simplicity $525. In actuality, the Cub Cadet was initially priced at $524.95 for a tractor with a recoil starter and $595.95 for one with electric start. It was logial to build the tractor at the Louisville Works in Louisville, Kentucky, where the Farmall Cub and the Cub Lo-Boys were produced. During 1960 and 1961, a number of prototypes were built and field tested, using a variety of attachments such as rotary mowers, front blades, moldboard plows, disk harrows, cultivators, pull-type reel mowers, tailing lawn sweepers, trailing seeder/fertilizer spreaders, pull-type lawn rakes, lawn rollers and lawn aerators, etc. Improvements were made as problems emerged. During the development and testing process, there was much discussion over colors, decals, etc.

The first production Cub Cadet did not have a model number; as other models were developed, it became known informally as the Original International Cub Cadet. It was powered by a single cylinder, 7-hp. Kohler K-161 engine. It had an oil-bath air cleaner, and it could be equipped with either recoil (rope-pull) or electric starting. The Original Cub Cadet had a pulley on the back of the engine with a belt connecting it to the transmission clutch/driveshaft below it. All future Cub Cadet engines connected directly to the transmission driveshaft.

The transmission/differential on the Original Cub Cadet was the same as that on the Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy.The transmission offered three forward speeds: 2.3 mph. in first gear, 3.1 mph. in second gear, and 6.9 mph. in third gear, plus 2.6 mph. in reverse.  Original Models could be outfitted with an additional gear box in front of the transmission to produce creeper speeds for tilling, blowing snow, plowing, etc. Most Cub Cadet creeper boxes were produced by the Danco Company and offered two ranges--direct-drive and under-drive. An aftermarket creeper gear box was offered by the M&W Gear Company; this gear box offered three choices--direct-drive, under-drive, and over-drive. A tractor with the M&W gearbox had nine possible speeds--.7 mph., .9 mph, 2.0 mph., 2.3 mph., 3.1 mph., 3.4 mph., 4.7 mph., 6.9 mph., and 10.8 mph. A reverse speed of 2.6 mph. remained constant. The yellow and white paint combination throughout Cub Cadet production, with the exception of the 82 Series, where red and black were used.

An optional rear-mounted three-point hitch was available for use with rear-mounted attachments on the Cub Cadet Original. A sleeve-hitch adapter and a spring assist were also available. With the sleeve-hitch adapter, attachments from a number of manufacturers could be used. International-Harvester offered five attachments for the Cub Cadet Orignal--a 42-inch front-mounted blade, a 38-inch rotary mower deck, a two-wheeled dump trailer, a 36-inch snow thrower (not a snow blower), and a tooth-harrow.

In 1960, IH issued 19,090 Cub Cadet Original tractors; forty-six percent were sold to urban and suburban areas--an entirely new market for International-Harvester. The Cub Cadet Original was popular from the start and production could not keep up with sales at times. After the initial offering of 19,090 tractors, production doubled in 1962 and again in 1963. By the end of 1963, approximately 65,000 Cub Cadets had been built.

It was obvious to IH officials that more powerful models were needed, and a new line was released in 1963. The7 hp. Cub Cadet Original was renamed the Model 70, and a new model with a 10-hp engine was called the Model 100. The frame was redesigned so that the engine could be placed between the frame rails and the V-belt drive was replaced by a direct-drive design, such as that on Bolens garden tractors. A 42-inch mower deck was produced for the larger tractor, as well as a rear-mounted blade and a rake. A mechanical PTO clutch attachment was used until 1974, when it was replaced by a electromagnetic style clutch. About 22,600 Model 70's were produced during that model's two-year run.

In July, 1965, Models 70 and 100 were replaced by Models 71 and 102 and the Model 122 was added to the line. The Kohler engines had been redesigned for easier starting. Automatic Compression Release (A.C.R) was standard on all single-cylinder engines above 6 hp from 1965 on. Models 71, 102 and 122 had redesigned grills, instrument panels, fenders, seats, key-starting, and a clutch-pedal safety switch. Options such as an ammeter and a cigarette lighter were available. The Model 123 was released in the Fall of 1965. The Cub Cadet Model 70 was priced at $690, the Model 100 at $765, the Model 71 sold at $735, the Model 102 at $845, the Model 122 at $905, and the Model 123 at $1,082. By updating and adding additional models, International-Harvester was able to maintain 23-percent of the garden-tractor market.

IH began experimenting with hydrostatic transmissions in 1959. Early testing revealed that the 7 hp. Cub Cadet did not have enough power. The first production IH garden tractor with a hydrostaic transmission was the Model 123, released in the fall of 1965, and marketed at county fairs throughout the country. During the first year, nearly 6,000 tractors were sold during the first half of the year. IH garden tractors used hydrostaic units produced exclusively by the Sunstrand Company until 1965, when the tractors were built by the Modern Tool & Die Company (MTD).The IH Model 123 Cub Cadet was the first garden tractor to incorporate a hydrostatic transmission. It was well received; 16,428 Model 123 tractors were during the two years it was produced.

In 1967, Models 71, 102, 122, and 123 were replaced by Models 72, 104, 124, and 125, and Model 105 was added to the line later. Models 72, 104, and 124 were gear-driven; Models 105 and 125 had hydrostatic transmissions. All of the new models had "Quick-Attach" mechanisms which allowed operators to mount front and center implements without tools. A new line of Quick-Attach implments were released to take advantage of this feature; these included front-mounted blades, center-mounted mowers, and a front-mounted snow blower. A Model 72 sold for $777, a Model 104 for $915, a Model 105 for $1,070, a Model 124 for $995, and a Model 125 for $1,150.

Marketing necessitated new models every two or three years, so in 1969, International-Harvester issued an expanded line of redesigned models. The Model 72 became the Model 73, the 104 became the 106, and the 124 became the 126. Also available were hydrostatic Models 107 and 127 and a new tractor--the 14 hp Model 147. All models were electric start. The hydrostatic tractors were especially popular; twice as many were sold as gear-driven tractors. The Kohler engine on the Model 147 was noteworthy because it incorporated a set of offset weighted gears to absorb cranksaft vibration. The larger engine on the Model 147 required that the frame be widened; this marked the beginning of the "wide-frame" Cub Cadets which were produced from that time on. Electric-lift and headlights and tailights were standard on the Model 147. The Model 106 sold for $1,065, the Model 107 for $1,230, the Model 126 for $1,155, the Model 127 for $1,320, and the Model 147 for $1,545.

The Cub Cadet line celebrated its 10th anniversary in 1971. At that time, the Cub Cadet lineup included the 8 hp. Model 86 (gear-driven) for $1,147,, the 10 hp. Model 108 (gear-driven) for $1,249, the 10 hp. Model 109 (hydrostatic) for $1,441, the 12 hp. Model 128 (gear-driven) for $1,351, the 12 hp. Model 129 (hydrostatic) for $1,450, the 14 hp. Model 149 (hydrostatic) for $1,799, and a new model--the 16 hp. Model 169 (hydrostatic) for $1,799. These tractors all featured wide frames. Other changes included restyled grills and hoods, relocating the battery to the rear of the tractor under the operator's seat, increasing the size of the fuel tank to two gallons and moving it closer to the dashboard, a PTO safety-starting switch, a braking feature on the PTO clutch, an optional hydraulic attachment lift, extra hydraulic ports, an optional three-point hitch, an optional creeper drive, an optional Maintenance Meter (hour clock), and an optional ROPS with a canopy. Mower decks were also redesigned to accomodate safety features,and the line of attachments was expanded to include newly-designed snow blowers, a rear-mounted landscape rake, and a front-mounted shredder/grinder. In 1973, IH offered a noise-suppression package consisting of a larger muffler and exhaust pipe, a new air cleaner, and heat baffles.

In 1972 IH released a new and different machine called a mowing tractor--the Model 76 Cadet. This was a small and relatively inexpensive machine intended to compete with the inexpensive machines sold in discount stores such as K-Mart. The Model 76 Cadet had a vertical-crankshaft Briggs & Stratton 7 hp. engine which conveyed power to the transmission by means of a V-belt. The Model 76 had a stamped metal frame, a tilting, one-piece fiberglass hood and grille, a Peerless three-speed gear-driven trans-axle,a manually-operated lift, a manually-operated belt-driven PTO, and a recoil starter. Several down-sized attachments were available for the Model 76. A special red, white, and blue edition Model 76 was built in 1975 and 1976 to commemorate the U.S. Bicentennial. 

The 500,000th Cub Cadet was produced in December, 1973.
 

THE QUIET LINE SERIES

The Quiet Line Series was introduced in the Fall of 1974. It was the longest garden tractor series manufactured by International Harvester, running from October, 1974, to June, 1980 (serial numbers 530001 to 664996). Quiet Line Series tractors were the first produced by IH which featured a fully-enclosed engine, rubber engine mountings, and a large metal baffle between the gas tank and the engine to keep the fuel cooler and to direct engine sound away from the operator. Ironically, these innovations were undertaken to meet noise-level emission laws proposed by the City of Chicago and the Federal Government--laws which were never passed.

The Quiet Line Series had a new three and four-digit numbering system. The line included the 8 hp. gear-driven Model 800 for $1,565, the 10 hp. gear-driven Model 1000 for $1,690, the 12 hp. gear-driven Model 1200 for $2,350, the 12 hp. hydrostatic Model 1250 for $2,450, the 14 hp. hydrostatic Model 1450 for $2,935, and the 16 hp. hydrostatic Model 1650 for$3,120. A less-expensive tractor--the 11 hp. gear-driven Model 1100 priced at $1,790--was added to the line later to compete with comparable tractors sold at discount stores.

One of the innovations in the Quiet Line Series was a 12-volt, flywheel-mounted, Bendix-drive starter/alternator, with an engine-mounted solid-state regulator. This starter turned the engine at 400 rpm, and there was no drain on  the battery. The K181AQS Kohler engine were used in the Model 800, the K241AQS in the Model 1000, the K301AQS in Models 1200 and 1250, the K321AQS in the 1450, and the K341AQS in the 1650. A Briggs & Stratton engine was used in the Model 1100--IH's "economy" tractor. The Model 1100 had a four-speed Peerless transaxle, with a belt-idler clutch. It was not truely part of the Quiet Line Series, because it lacked side panels.

Engines in the Quiet Line Series incorporated IH's exclusive ISO Mounts--a design adapted from the IH 66 Series tractor cabs. ISO Mounts were hard rubber washers with steel bushings in them. Engines were mounted  on two parallel bars which which were then attached to the frame with ISO Mounts to absorb engine vibration.  A larger air-cleaner housing received air from an opening at the flywheel-blower housing. This further reduced noise and also functioned somewhat as a supercharger because of the increased volume of air taken in; although, there wasn't any increase in air pressure. Mufflers on Quiet Line Series tractors were twice the size of those on previous tractors, and they directed exhaust gases forward through the grill. Exhaust pipes on initial Quiet- Line Series tractors protruded through the grill and were aimed downwards, disturbing leaves and grass cuttings. Mufflers on tractors with serial numbers 606613 and onwards were redesigned so that they did not protrude through the grill and exhaust gases were less concentrated. Side panels and a large metal baffle between the engine and the fuel tank/instrument panel directed heat and noise away from the operator, towards the front of the machine. Although noise-level emission laws were never passed, Quiet Line tractors were very popular and imitated by many compeditors. Model 1100 tractors with serial numbers 646220 and later featured  Briggs & Stratton engines with Magnevac breakerless ignition systems; these engines enabled operators to replace points and coils without removing the flywheel.

Early two-gallon plastic fuel tanks featured a combination gas cap/gauge. The fuel tanks on tractors with serial numbers 560212 and onward had redesigned tanks with larger fill holes,  and gauges were no longer combined with the caps.

Tractors with serial numbers 632502 and onward had 1-inch diameter spindles instead of the 3/4 inch ones used previously. This was done to accomodate increased loads imposed by larger/heavier attachments. Older tractors could be upgraded with the larger spindles.

Hydrostatic-drive Cub Cadets had infinitely variable speeds from 0 to 8 mph forward and 0 to 4 mph in reverse. These tractors had the same final drive and rear axles as gear-driven models. The hydrostatic system consisted of a self-contained unit with a variable-displacement piston-pump, a fixed-displacement piston-motor, a charge pump, and two check valves. Fins on the cast-aluminum housing cooled the unit; there was no separate fan or oil cooler. The hydrostatic unit was connected directly to the tractor's final drive by way of a reduction gear. Hydrostatic tractors had an oil filter; gear-driven tractors were splash lubricated and nonpressurized. The design of the hydrostatic unit was such that it was not possible to manually push the tractor while it was at rest for more than a few feet in either direction without turning off the engine and reducing the pressure of the check valves by means of a lever on the right side of the transmission driveshaft tunnel cover. Hydrostatic tractors did not freewheel ("coast"). An attempt to move the tractor with the engine off resulted to damage to the hydrostatic unit. Redesigned check-valves on Model 1250 after serial number 597245 and on model 1450 after serial number 590522 automatically released the pressure on the check valves when the engine wasn't running and made it possible to move the tractors for a few feet in either direction with damage to the transmission. Early hydrostatic tractor had a hydro-control lever with a "split-H" pattern that required the operator to move the lever from forward to reverse through neutral. Earlier tractors lacked this feature, and it was possible to move from full forward to full reverse (or verso) without a pause, a situation which was dangerous (and surprising) for both tractor and the operator.

Quiet Line Series tractors had electromagnetic PTO clutches; this was a radical departure from earlier mechanical clutches. The clutch was activated by a toggle-switch on the dashboard. The electromagnetic system was simpler and more durable than the older mechanical system, and it incorporated a built-in braking mechanism which stopped the blades in four seconds. The PTO clutches were outsourced from either Warner or Ogura. Optional mower decks included three-blade Quick-Attach decks in 38, 40a, 42, 48, and 50a decks.

Models 1450 and 1650 were equipped with hydraulic implement lifts as standard equipment; this was optional on Model 1250. The hydro-control lever and the implement lift-control lever were both on the right side of the dash on hydrostatic tractors; this made it difficult to move both levers at the same time.  This was corrected in later series. Models 800, 1000, 1100, 1200, and 1250 were equipped with manual implement lifts. An electric implement lift was a dealer-installed option on models 800, 1000, 1200 and 1250. The lift was activated by means on a toggle switch on the dashboard. Front-mounted hydraulic outlets were available on models 1250, 1450, and 1650 if the tractors were factory-equipped with dual-spool (two-lever) hydraulic valves. The two levers were mounted on the right side of the dashboard. Hydraulic outlets at the front of tractors were used with front-mounted blades and other attachments.

Gear-driven Cub Cadets could be ordered with option creeper gears. This enabled a four-to-one reduction of speed in each gear. The creeper gear was activated by means of a lever extending through the top of the driveshaft shroud. The creeper gear was useful when tilling or blowing snow. A transmission-driven rear Power-Take-Off (PTO) shaft was optional on models 800, 1000, and 1200 gear-drven tractors. It was controlled by the same clutch as the transmission. The tractors lacked "live" PTOs which could be operated without the tractors being in motion, unless the tractors were stationary and shifted into neutral. The rear PTO was used with implements such as rotary tillers and reel mowers. Unfortunately, the rear PTO shaft turned in a different directrion than that on most tractors, so it couldn't be used with most implements produced by other companies. A safety package consisting of a ROPS canopy, seatbelt and skid bars was available through dealers. More than fifty attachments were available for the Cub Cadets, including a variety of after-market attachments/implements available from companies such as Brinly.

Tractors in the Quiet Line Series incorporated the safety features of earlier tractors; they would not start unless the gear-shift/brake-clutch pedal was in neutral and the PTO switch was off.

Either external dry or internal wet brakes were available on all Quiet Line tractors. The external brakes were outsourced from Ausco or HH Products; the Ausco brakes were most common. Early Model 1200 tractors had dual-disc (one per wheel) external brakes only. Model 1100 tractors had a single disc brake mounted on the axle shaft, Models 800, 1000, 1250, 1450, and 1650 could be equipped with either external disc brakes (one on each axle) or internal wet brakes (one on the transmission counter-shaft). Internal wet brakes were provided on models 800, 1000, and 1200 on tractors with serial numbers 568631 and above. Later models 1250, 1450, and 1650 were also issued with internal wet brakes. An internal wet brake consisted of two pads which clamped together on a flat disc mounted on the end of the trasnmission counter-shaft. The design of the system was such that individual rear-wheel braking was not possible. The internal wet brakes were durable and reliable, and seldom needed maintenance; they were self-adjusting. A single pedal acted as both clutch and brake on gear-driven and hydrostatic tractors.

An electric hour-meter called the "Maintenance Minder" was an optional feature on all models; it kept track of the length of time that the engine ran and indicated when it was time for routine maintenance. Headlights and tailights were standard on models 1450 and 1650 and optional on models 800, 1000, 1200, and 1250. A common wiring harness was used on all Quiet Line models; it was outsourced from Dill Products. A metal utility box was available as a dealer-installed option. It was mounted on the rear cover of the differential and included a hitch extension plate. A deluxe seat was standard; it was outsourced from the Michigan Seat Company.

Turf-tread Goodyear tires were standard on all Quiet Line tractors; ag-bar-tread tires were optional, as were dual rear wheels, chrome-plated wheel covers, and 26-pound rear-wheel weights. The wheel weights were the same as those used on the front wheels of the Farmall Cub.

In 1975, IH announced that after July 4, 1975, all Cub Cadets would be covered by full one-year warranties--parts and labor. Tires and routine maintenance items were excluded. Commercial operators had the option of a 24-month total service maintenance contract.

THE FINAL CUB CADETS

In 1979, International-Harvester had its most profitable year ever. It announced a new line of Cub Cadets--the IH 82 Series. Tractors in the IH 82 Series were red and black and resembled miniature versions of the larger IH agricultural tractors. Purchasers had a choice of Kohler, Onan, or Briggs & Stratton engines. Models 182 and 282 were gear-driven and had 8 hp. Briggs & Stratton engines, Models 382 and 482 were gear-driven and had 11 hp. Briggs & Stratton engines, Model 582 was gear-driven and had a 16 hp. Briggs & Stratton engine, Models 682 and 782 were hydrostatic and had 17 hp. Kohler engines, and a new "super tractor" Model 982 was hydrostatic and had a 19 hp. Onan engine.  The Model 582 had the Cub transmission/differential; the Model 482 did not. The use of ISO Mounts was discontinued in the larger tractors, as twin-cylinder engines had much less engine vibration. Model 182 tractors sold for $1,926, Model 282 tractors for $2,176, Model 382 tractors for $2,389, Model 482 tractors for $2,465, Model 582 tractors for $2,880, Model 682 tractors for $3,295, Model 782 tractors for $3,760, and Model 982 tractors for $4,885.

safety features were increased in the IH 82 Series. A switch on the operator's seat and on the clutch/brake pedal both had to be activated before the tractor could be started. On Models 482, 582, 682, 782, 982 and 1282, if the operator left the seat when the PTO was engaged, the engine would turn off. On hydrostatic models, the PTO would be disengaged if the tractor was shifted into reverse.  A built-in brake on the mower deck stopped the blade in four seconds. Newly designed dashboards made it easier to view the gauges and levers, and switches were positioned for easier use. The fuel tank capacity was increased to four gallons, and the engines were designed to run on unleaded gasoline. Fuel tanks could be filled without raising the hood, and the tractors had larger and easier-to-read fuel gauges. Front-wheel spindles were one-inch in diameter. Initial IH 82 Series tractors retained the cast-iron transmission/differential housings also used on Farmall Cubs; however, cast-aluminum housings were used on later tractors.
Gear-driven Models 482 and 582 tractors continued the use of the automotive style main clutch drive. The creeper-gear drive was standard on the Model 482; it was optional on the Model 582. IH-82 Series tractors were outfitted with floor mats and more comfortable seats. The Model 982 had an optional Category 0 three-point hitch and a 2,000 rpm rear PTO. The Model 982 was considered to be a "super" garden tractor, larger than a regular garden tractor but smaller than a compact tractor. The Model 982 was longer than other IH 82 Series tractors, and it had dual brake pedals which could be used to improve steering in loose soil. The hydrostatic-drive units on Models 682, 782, and 982 incorporated fans, as fins on the cases didn't provide sufficient cooling. Hydraulic lift systems were made larger and stronger.  Belt-driven front-end PTO systems were improved and able to handle larger loads; V-belts were increased from A to B-width. Mower decks were improved to be able to handle the increased horsepower of the IH-82 Series. Other attachments such as the front-mounted snow blower and the PTO-driven rear-mounted tiller were also improved for use on the IH-82 Series.

The last Cub Cadet tractor built by International-Harvester was probably Model 782 (Serial Number 694248), built in April, 1981. Based on serial numbers, approximately 693,658 Cub Cadets were built during the 21-year production run. Increasing competition from other companies, a lack of research and development, corporate mismanagement, and diminishing sales resulted in the closure of IH's Louisville Works. In 1980, IH's Outdoor Products Line was sold to the Modern Tool & Die Company (MTD). MTD formed a new and independent company named the Cub Cadet Corporation (CCC) to handle the Outdoor Products Line. CCC was located in Brownsville, Tennesee. CCC sold red Model 82 Series Cub Cadet tractors with IH logos to IH agricultural dealers and yellow and white Model 82 Cub Cadet tractors without IH logos to lawn and garden product dealers. CCC eventually became a division of MTD, and it continues to sell Cub Cadet tractors. The first diesel tractor, the Model 782D, was introduced in 1984.



RESOURCES

BOOKS

Bell, Brian. Seventy Years of Garden Machinery. Old Pond Publishing, 2007.
Klancher, Lee, with Randy Leffingwell. Legendary Farmall Tractors; A Photographic History. Voyageur Press, 2009.
Leffingwell, Randy. International Harvester Tractors. MBI, 1999.
Updike, Kenneth. Farmall Cub & Cub Cadet. Farm Tractor Color History Series. MBI, 2002.
Updike, Kenneth. International Harvester Tractors, 1955-1985. Motorbooks International, 2000.
Updike, Kenneth. Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet. MBI, 2005.
Will, Oscar H., III. Cub Cadet; The First 45 Years. Hain Publishing, 2005.
Will, Oscar H., III. Garden Tracto
rs; Deere, Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, and All the Rest, 1930's to Current. Voyageur Press, 2009.

MAGAZINES

Antique Power.
Farm Collector.
Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine.

ONLINE FORUMS

Cub Cadet Collectors    www.cubcadetcollectors.com
GTtalk    www.gardentractortalk.com
International Harvester Cub Cadet Forum    www.ihcubcadet.com
Lawn World    www.lawnmowerforum.com
Little G Lawn & Garden Tractor Collectors Club    www.littlegexpo.com
My Treactor Forum    www.mytractorforum.com
Tractor Forum    www.tractorforum.com
Vintage Garden Tractor Club of America (VGTCOA)    www.vgtcoa.com
Yesterday's Tractors    www.yesterdaystractors.com