Ingold purchased his Briggs & Stratton Type PB engine in 2014
Jim Smith, a collector who was downsizing his collection of engines and
garden tractors. It remained untouched until 2015, when Cliff got
around to examining it more closely and researching its background. It
was then that he realized what a really interesting engine he had.
Cliff’s Type PB is Serial # 19520, manufactured in August, 1927.
was a happy convergence of talent and resources in 1908 when Stephen F.
Briggs and Harold M. Stratton formed the partnership that eventually
became the largest manufacturer of gasoline engines in the world. The
Briggs & Stratton Corporation achieved early success with
automotive products such as igniter switches, coil boxes and locks and
In 1919, the company acquired the A.O. Smith Motor
Wheel. This was a motorized wheel which could be attached to the back
of a bicycle or a cart. Briggs & Stratton developed the Flyer,
which was basically a platform of wooden slats on four wheels with a
steering apparatus and backrests for two slender individuals. The Motor
Wheel was attached to the back of the Flyer to produce a simple vehicle
which was marketed from 1919 to 1924 with some success.
engine on the Motor Wheel led to the development of the Briggs
Stratton Type P Engine, which revolutionized the four-cycle gas engine
industry. Within a short period of time, the Type P “Portable” Engine
was used in a wide variety of applications such as washing machines,
garden tractors, cultivators, generators, etc. Variations of
P engines continued to be used as late as World War II.
Briggs & Stratton Type P engine was a four-cycle,
F-head, single cylinder engine with a 2.5-inch bore and a 2.5-inch
stroke. There was no blower housing and it had an external cooling fan.
The Briggs & Stratton Type PB engine was derived from the
Motor-Wheel engine and was a variation of the Type P engine. The Type
PB had four large threaded holes on the side of the crankcase for
mounting and the cylinder could be detached from the crankcase. The
power-take-off was taken from the camshaft; this design acted as a
reduction gear. Moving parts were lubricated by an oil pump and a
splash system and the engine had a Tillotson carburetor. The Type PB
was produced from 1923 to 1935.